Sunday 12 October 2014

Trial swap into the Cavendish

In my last post, I said I had bought a compact Cavendish as a spare/back-up for the de Villiers. I have now moved over into it and will trial it until the end of October (though I suspect that I may need more colour and will then move back to the de Villiers...).

Everything moved across just fine. The binder is heavier than the de Villiers. Unloaded, the de Villers weighed in at 156g; the Cavendish was 183g. It’s also ‘puffier’ leather than the de Villiers (which has almost a lacquered feel to it). I needed to make a protective plastic sheet for the front, but since I have a box of overhead projector sheets, this was pretty easy! The ring size is the same (I think). Seven cards and two books of stamps went into the front slots; the rest went into the zipped pocket on the back. Paper money went into the back full-height pocket; coins went into the zipped pencil-case at the back (straight transfer from the de Villiers).
I think it’s because the covers are thicker/puffier but it feels bigger than the de Villiers. Not so much that I am thinking brick though, so that’s okay!

I’ll keep you posted. Right now I’m not convinced that the pen-loop and strap benefits outweigh the ‘feels bigger and it’s not colourful’ disadvantages.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, Looking forward to see how you get on with the Cavendish Compact. I didn't even know they made them. I have the 30mm beast, it's currently sitting in a drawer unused, but it's nice to have that size of rings, in case of a job change which requires carrying a lot more info. It's happened to me before. The pocket on the outside is really useful, do you think you'll use that? I find as long as you don't put hard objects in, it's a big advantage having it. That's a point, I've never tried putting my iPhone in it, I wonder if it would fit in the outside pocket on the compact? It will be interesting to see how it compares to the De Villiers. Like you, I'm now using Da Vinci paper, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete