Sunday 13 April 2014

Notebook or Filofax?

I have decided that I need to keep more notes for Rotary. Not so much dates of events, as these go straight into my diary, but notes on the talks given, the projects we are working on etc.

But, the questions is, do I go for a notebook (of which I have zillions) or a spare filofax (um, yeah, same thing about the zillions). On the one hand I want something fairly small and neat, but on the other it would be nice to go for something where I can file the pages under different dividers.

As everyone knows, I have a small shop’s worth of notebooks (and filofaxes) so there MUST be something in there to use!

The Options
Having had a look through The Emporium and The Bottom Drawer of my Desk, I have whittled it down to:

  • A Cartesio notebook (13cm x 21 cm)
  • The pocket flex
  • A pocket filofax filled with notepaper which I can transfer to another binder later and file under different topics
  • A personal filofax filled with notepaper which I can transfer to another binder later and file under different topics
  • A homemade “Midori Traveller” (either with A6 size notebooks in it (by Papelote) or a slightly smaller Field Notes size – I have made both!)


Pros/Cons

The Cartesio
Pros
Cons
Lovely notebook
Not possible to file things separately – continuous book
Lots of great colours
Perhaps a smidgen too big (it has a bigger footprint than my filofax but is thinner)
Good page size

Hard cover so easy to write on out and about


The pocket flex
Pros
Cons
Small and neat
A bit small
Possibility of having different notebooks for different things in the same cover
Horrible paper
Possibility of tearing the pages out and filing them in one of the many unused pocket filofaxes


Pocket Filofax
Pros
Cons
I have lots not in use and would really like to use them
Page size is a bit small
The small ring size would (for once) be a bonus!

I could transfer notes to another unused one (therefore using two!) to file notes


Personal Filofax
Pros
Cons
I have some spare one, not being used
A bit too big and heavy
Page size is about right

I have lots of spare notepaper for them

Pages could be transferred to another one for filing


Homemade “Midori Traveller”
Pros
Cons
Small and neat
Floppy cover
Possibility of having different notebooks for different things in the same cover


If I win a very slimline binder on eBay that I’m looking at then my decision might be made. I would load that up with cotton cream paper and transfer notes to the navy Portland once they were ready for filing. The one I am looking at is very, very slimline (the ring diameter looks like it is less than 10mm!) so it wouldn’t be a giant brick to carry.

If I don’t win it, then I think it will be a close call between the Cartesio and the homemade “Midori”

Keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree to your pros and cons, but with the filofax flex pocket I found a solution regarding the bad paper. I found passportsize notebooks at Muji which cost here in germany 1,50 €. They fit perfectly into the pocket flex and I really like their paper, pens write very smooth on it. And at woolworth I found packages with 3 notebooks in passportsize for 1,50 aswell. The muji ones are available with a black, red or blue cover and the notebooks from woolwort come with different covers with nice pictures or patterns! I usually use a personal sized filofax aston in orchid, but if I carry my smaller purse, or if I don't need my aston and want to have a less heavy purse I use the flex for notes, my grocery list etc. So maybe this tip is useful for you :) if you're interested in fotos just tell me ;)

    ReplyDelete