What I have realised is that:
- If I don't plan, I don't achieve as much as I want to
- Even if I do plan, if I don't have my list of to-do for the week in front of me with the diary, I probably won't look at it, even if it is only a few pages away in my planner and marked with a labelled today-marker
- Much as I adore the size of a pocket filofax, I can't quite get it to work when life gets busy as the format is too small for week + notes to view
- Although a day to page can work well for me, I then lose the overall feel of the week
- If I am working on day per page, I have a tendency not to look at the week per view, even if it is only a few sheets away in my planner and marked with a today-marker
- Much as I adore both Red and Indie, I can't carry enough cards in them and get annoyed by that as I don't want to have both a planner and a wallet in my bag
- My annoyance at lack of cards ultimately outweighs my adoration of the binder and the page size (A6)
- If I plan/allocate my to-do to specific days I tend to overload myself/plan myself to bits and then abandon all planning because I'm harassed and feel as if I have no free time
What I need:
- The date at the top of the page
- The days with lines
- Space for a to-do/task list
- Space to note things that are coming up
What I don't need:
- More than one language. I'm pretty reasonable at languages so it isn't essential it is English, but just one is needed. I'm planning, not doing a language course that only teaches days and months.
- That mini month-calendar thing
- Open space with no lines
The French version (see below) is pretty close to what I want, but it's not perfect and the shipping costs make it expensive considering it's not quite what I want.
|Image from Filofax.fr|
Last year, I designed my own, then for a variety of reasons (I was in a Mulberry A6 at the start of the year, then a pocket filofax, then finally a personal filofax but was persevering with the diary that I had) not printed it off and used it. Anyway, after the last month or so of feeling disorganised and out of sorts with all planning, I sat down, thought about what would (and wouldn't) work for me and realised that the diary I had designed myself was still likely to be the perfect format for me, so I printed up enough to take me to the end of July. If it's still working well for me by the end of July, I will print up another month (and so on).
This is it.
It's the same as the one I blogged about before, but the ink/lines are purple instead of brown.
What do people think?